I started with the basics. I washed down the piece and gave it a good sanding, did some minor repairs and primed the piece. I painted two coats of a matching red, but will need to probably do two more..red being a difficult colour work with. I did not paint the inside, and you can see I matched the original red pretty nicely. I bought new locks for the cabinet doors. I put in two false floors, here only one has been raised into position. I left a tiny opening on the floor, as I have not decided whether I am going to hard wire this house or use battery operated lights, or both. I think it deserves to have a well lit cabinet. The shelving I made for another doll house, but it fits here, surprisingly, so I may use it if I decide to make a small 'corner shop' next to the post office I plan for the other side.
This is my newest acquisition and soon to be Doll House. It is an antique Mail Letter Box I found for $100.00. It has glass doors and you can se the mail slots. The first floor will become a post office with a little store next to it, or maybe a bank. The top floor has two rooms where I will create your typical Pre-WW2 British apartment. I can't wait to create the peeling wallpaper and the electric wires on the outside of the walls. As I work on this I will post pictures as I go along.